Thursday, December 08, 2005

A funny story about Bridges

The wonderful Chirodad and I honeymooned in London and Scotland two years ago. Being the frugal couple that we are, we decided to carry our backpacks and use the wonderful Hostels (the US needs so many more of these!!). So, we left balmy Charleston, SC for the 2 hour drive to Charlotte, NC for our flight (the weather was about 75 degrees F and sunny). We get to Charlotte in time to take an earlier than scheduled flight to Newark, NJ. For the record, I do NOT like Newark. Period. My experiences there have never been pleasant, and I suppose the powers that be didn't see any reason to change that trend just yet. Well, we hit NJ, go through the insane security check lines, and head down to the Virgin gates to await our overnight flight. So far so good. Even the gaggle of young choirboys from Bristol couldn't manage to annoy me too much. Heck, I was on my honeymoon! And I was going to Euorpe! The flight there wasn't too horrible...the great thing about overseas flights is the liquor is free. Enough bourbon and anything is tolerable. Even the screaming 2 year old to the left of my seat. Upon arriving in London, we hit the tarmac ready to GO. Well, we soon find out that our luggage has been detained in NJ, but will be on the next flight over (that night). No worries...we decided to pick up a few pair of socks (Chirodad was in birks w/o socks...brrrr) and some necessities, hit the hostel, and then start the adventure.
To make a very long story somewhat shorter, the luggage took 6 days to arrive. We had planned on staying in the UK for a total of 10 days. Not fun. After day 3 of being in London (and hand washing underwear and socks), I decide what the hell, lets get on a bus and go to Edinburgh. We should have been there yesterday and I'm sick of staying here! So here we go....only the bus ride takes forever and we hadn't made reservations at a hostel in Edinburgh. Ok, so no worries, right??? WRONG!!! The only rooms in that freaking town that were left were DORM rooms. Thats right. I was going to spend part of my honeymoon in a room shared with *gasp* other people!!! Poor Chirodad...I had a literal meltdown (and remembering this, I totally see where my daughter's tantrums are coming from!) on a bridge in Edinburgh. Yes, there were people around and nope, I didn't care. So, Chirodad did the only thing he could think of. He managed to persuade me to step inside a nearby pub, ordered up some wonderful soup and a BIG glas of whiskey. Followed by a few dozen more glasses of whiskey. And wouldn't ya know, after that much whiskey, I could have cared less WHERE I was going to sleep!

The only thing that tops off the bridge tantrum was the return bus ride to London a week later. We were the last two people on a packed bus, and weren't able to sit together (SOOOO High School, I know). Chirodad got a lovely, stick thin fellow as a seat partner. I got the Santa-in-training GASSY partner. And the bus driver wanted to be a NASCAR driver, I swear. So, that night was spent being farted and half-sat upon while simoultaneously being scared witless. Fun times, fun times.

I'm ready to go back!! Imagine the fun times to be had with a toddler in tow!! Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger sweetviolet said...

and just think. when she has a meltdown you can do some shots together!

12:12 PM  
Blogger ChiroMum said...

I know the legal drinking age in the UK is lower than here in the states, but I don't think its THAT low! :)

12:17 PM  
Blogger Spirit Of Owl said...

Hey, in your own home, there's no legal drinking age over here. And in Scotland, it's pretty much expected to wet the baby's head literally. :D

Still, you managed to find some of the, uh, character of Scotland eh? And they saw some of your character too! An excellent meeting of nations, I'd say. ;)

7:57 PM  
Blogger ChiroMum said...

Thanks, owl!!

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home