Monday, July 25, 2005

States Rights, Marriage, and The Simpson


So, an episode of The Simpsons sparked a rather interesting discussion between myself and Gene last night. It began with a big Parental Warning before the episode aired. The warning stated that homosexual marriages were the topic of that particular episode; I found it rather interesting that that would constitute a parental warning, but whatever. For some reason I have it in my little head that the parents concerned with their children being exposed to 'alternative' lifestyles wouldn't let them watch something as risque as The Simpsons anyway. I digress. In this episode, Homer is ordained as a minister (a process that we actually got a giggle from since we both know an Atheist Jewish Baptist Minister who was ordained in a similar process) and goes about reeking havoc in Springfield marrying anyone and everyone. This sparked the discussion between Gene and myself. I feel that marriage is a religious term, a union blessed by a church or religion and one that is completely different than a civil union. I see no issue with a civil union between two same-sex partners. Because of my faith, I do not feel that a marriage is applicable between two same-sex partners. Now you may ask what is the difference between a marriage and a civil union to me and all I can quantifiably state is that one is blessed by a higher power and one is not. Simply a matter of religiosity. Both Gene and I feel that no one should be denied the civil liberties imparted upon heterosexual couples (insurance for partners, adoption status, tax exemption, etc.). So what would the solution be? To define the limits of a civil union and marriage? Gene has this idea of States Rights being completely un-regulated by a Federal government and taxpayers being able to 'vote with their feet'. If they don't like the laws in one state, move to another. He also thinks that the Federal government should only be responsible for maintaining the military. I'm not really sure where I stand on all of this...I do know if his ideal world were ever to happen, we would most assuredly be moving OUT of the bible belt!

2 Comments:

Blogger sweetviolet said...

i don't particularly know where i stand on the states rights thing. it's not something i've ever really thought about. it's a really cool idea though. of course we do live in the bluest of the blue law states. god dammit i want to go to target before 1:00 on sunday....i'm moving to new york.

2:30 PM  
Blogger ChiroMum said...

Hey, just think how much better MY job would be if people were allowed to buy liquor/beer/wine/anything with alcohol for consumption after midnight on Saturday (in a retail setting)! And just think...in Kentucky (right next to the dry counties) they have drive through ABC stores. Hmm...

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home